About the Civic Federation
The Civic Federation is a non-partisan, non-profit government research organization working to maximize the quality and cost-effectiveness of government services in the Chicago region and the State of Illinois. The Civic Federation publishes reports and commentary about state and local government tax policies, government services and public expenditures. The Federation’s membership includes business and professional leaders from a wide range of Chicago-area companies and institutions.
Position Title & Description: Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist reports to the Civic Federation’s Communications Director and will assist in the Federation’s digital outreach efforts. The ideal candidate should be a strong writer and have an understanding of digital graphics and social media practices.
- Manage content and oversee maintenance of the Civic Federation’s website;
- Contribute innovative ideas for site content and enhancements;
- Format, record and distribute Civic Federation media clips;
- Produce content for the Civic Federation’s Twitter and LinkedIn accounts;
- Analyze website metrics, media coverage and social media reach to compile analytics reports and optimize future outreach efforts;
- Write and edit content for the website, grant reports, and other materials as assigned;
- Document events with photography and video;
- Assist with event production including preparing programs, visuals and technical needs;
- Assist in the basic management of IT needs for staff and liaise with offsite IT support; and
- Provide general support for outreach to media, government officials and Civic Federation members.
- Excellent writing and communications skills;
- Experience working with social media in a professional environment;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- An interest in government and public policy;
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred;
- Experience with basic website updates and maintenance preferred; and
- Ability to edit photo and video is a plus.
Starting Salary: $40,000 to $45,000 depending on experience. Generous vacation and benefits.
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and two to three references. Please also include up to three examples of work that showcase any combination the following:
- Website management;
- Professional social media management;
- Email marketing; or
- A short writing sample that demonstrates the ability to summarize complex information.
Address application to:
The Civic Federation
10 North Dearborn Street
Chicago, Illinois 60602
[email protected] (no phone calls please)
The Civic Federation is an equal opportunity employer.